Mon, 23 Feb 2026
Sun 1447/09/05AH (22-02-2026AD)

Latest News

Abbas Araghchi Says Win-Win Solution Still Possible on Iran Nuclear Issue

23 February, 2026 01:34

According to Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi, there is still “a good chance” that the nuclear conflict may be resolved diplomatically in a way that benefits all parties.

In a Sunday interview with CBS News, Araghchi stated, “One fact is there, that if they [the US] want to find a resolution for Iran’s peaceful nuclear program, the only way is diplomacy.”

“A solution is at our reach,” he emphasized, adding that there is still a “good chance” of reaching a diplomatic solution based on a win-win strategy.

The top Iranian negotiator noted, “There is no need for any military buildup, and military buildup cannot help it and cannot pressurize us.”

The interview was conducted on February 17 in the Omani consulate general in Geneva, Switzerland, during a second round of indirect nuclear talks between the US and Iran. The meetings’ main agenda items were the nuclear issue and the removal of unlawful US sanctions, much like in the previous round in Muscat, the capital of Oman.

The Iranian foreign minister stated after the discussions that a set of guiding principles had been agreed upon by both parties to pave the way for further discussions.

In a separate interview with Reuters on Wednesday, a senior US official stated that after the Geneva talks, Iran was expected to submit a written proposal for settling its conflict with the US.

While Tehran claims it is not pursuing nuclear weapons and is entitled to peaceful nuclear energy, the United States insists that Iran must stop its nuclear program.

Following recent economic protests in Iran that were violently manipulated by foreign espionage services, Washington started to use war rhetoric against the country.

Since then, the US president has repeatedly threatened to use force against Iran, sending scores of fighter fighters, bombers, and refueling planes to regional waters close to Iran along with two carrier groups.

When asked when Iran would deliver a draft proposal to Steve Witkoff, the envoy of US President Donald Trump, Araghchi replied that Tehran was still working on it and sought to make sure it had components that addressed the interests and concerns of both sides.

“We are working on those components, and I think we can work on those components, develop a strong document, and reach a quick agreement when we meet again, most likely this Thursday in Geneva. This is what I understand. “I think it’s pretty likely,” the Iranian foreign minister stated.

He underlined that while “at the same time, we are working on elements of a deal and a draft of the text,” the Iranian negotiation team will continue to hold talks with the United States.

He said he hoped the Iranian negotiators would be ready to discuss such documents when they arrive in Geneva.

American negotiators are prepared to meet with Iran again on Friday in Geneva if they receive a comprehensive proposal from Iran within the next 48 hours, a senior U.S. official told Axios on Sunday morning.

Later, in a post on X, Omani Foreign Minister Sayyid Badr bin Hamad Al Busaidi stated that the next round of indirect negotiations between the US and Iran will take place in Geneva on Thursday.

When questioned about the distinctions between a possible agreement with US President Donald Trump’s administration and the 2015 nuclear agreement, officially known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), signed under the Barack Obama administration, Araghchi stated that things have changed in the last ten years.

“Technologically, our nuclear program is more advanced now than it was at that time. The top Iranian official clarified that there are, of course, more pressures and sanctions.

Given how much detail the two sides have discussed, he stated that he thinks Tehran and Washington may come to a better agreement than the JCPOA with features that could be far better than the previous accord.

However, I don’t think that many details are necessary at this time. We can reach a consensus on fundamental issues and ensure that Iran’s nuclear program is benign and will stay that way indefinitely. Additionally, more sanctions would be removed concurrently, Araghchi noted.

Catch all the World News, Breaking News Event and Trending News Updates on GTV News


Join Our Whatsapp Channel GTV Whatsapp Official Channel to get the Daily News Update & Follow us on Google News.

Scroll to Top