Mon, 17 Aug 2026
Mon 1448/03/04AH (17-08-2026AD)

Latest News

Indonesia Earthquake Leaves Dozens Dead as Medical Crisis Deepens in Flores

17 August, 2026 16:39

At least 68 people have been killed and around 5,000 displaced after a 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck Indonesia’s Flores island shortly before 06:00 on Saturday. Dampek village was among the worst-hit areas, with health facilities destroyed, electricity networks cut and aftershocks continuing to shake makeshift shelters. The disaster is reportedly Indonesia’s deadliest earthquake since 2022, when hundreds of people were killed in West Java.

The scale of the medical emergency has overwhelmed local health services. Dr. Melinda, the only doctor at the devastated Dampek Health Centre, said hundreds of victims were seeking treatment while medical supplies were rapidly running out. She reported receiving casualties around the clock and said she had been unable to rest, highlighting the severe shortage of medical personnel and resources facing affected communities.

The crisis is being compounded by damaged roads, landslides and disruptions to aid deliveries across Flores. Thousands of displaced survivors are sleeping outdoors amid fears that weakened buildings could collapse, while tents erected near destroyed hospitals have been converted into emergency treatment centres. With continuing tremors, dwindling supplies and difficult access to some communities, concerns are growing over the ability of rescue and medical teams to provide sustained assistance to survivors.

Catch all the World News, Breaking News Event and Trending News Updates on GTV News


Join Our Whatsapp Channel GTV Whatsapp Official Channel to get the Daily News Update & Follow us on Google News.

Scroll to Top